Wordless Wednesday Follow-Up

February 14, 2008 at 11:33 pm | Posted in WW | 5 Comments

I meant to post this yesterday to explain the photograph, but time got away from me. Hopefully you’ll understand when you finish reading the story. My WW picture yesterday was actually taken that morning at 1:13 a.m. It is even a picture of my car.

Are you ready for my tale of woe? Posting has been light here lately. Not because I am considering orphaning the blog as I’ve done with so many others, but because I’ve been busy at work and not feeling well. I’ve been fighting off a cold for about a week and was just about over it. Then, on Tuesday I left work early…..to go to the emergency room. I had a kidney stone (not my first, so I knew what I was dealing with as soon as the pain started) and was in pretty rough shape as I left. Two co-workers took me to an ER about 10 minutes away from work and stayed for a while. It took forever for me to be seen and the weather was getting bad. It had been snowing since lunchtime and the snow was coming down pretty heavily. The two co-workers who brought me to the hospital had to leave, but a third was going to come by later in the evening and either take me to my car if I could drive or drive me home if I could not. It seemed like a good plan at the time.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature had plans of her own for Tuesday evening. As I sat around in the ER waiting to be seen, the snow continued. Then it switched to a wintry mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain. The roads became a complete mess. Co-worker #3 had a twenty minute commute blossom to over two hours and ended up stranded at home once she arrived there. At this point, I had been brought into a room and saw the ER physician once (this was around four hours after my arrival).

I wasn’t too worried though. I can adapt, improvise and overcome. So, I made a plan to take a taxi from the hospital back to work. I had enough cash with me to pay the fare so no problem. I was bit worried about what I would do at that point though. I was raised in Texas and had only moved to the land of ice and snow a few years ago. I still prefer to stay inside when it is icy. Snow I can handle, but ice worries me. Well, from what my co-worker said, the roads were getting icy. I started watching the local news on the tv and saw that there were a lot of car accidents during rush hour and dire warnings about black ice, so I was a little worried.

I developed a new plan. I would take a taxi from the hospital toward work. If the roads looked like something I could drive on, I would have the taxi drop me off at my car. If not, I would go to a hotel near work and find a way to get to my car the next day. Problem solved and I stopped worrying.

Several more hours pass (along with the kidney stone) and I am discharged from the ER around 12:30 a.m. I head to the reception/waiting area to ask for help calling a cab. As I try to go through the door, the security guard stops me, says the reception/waiting area is closed and I have to exit through the ambulance bay entrance. I look and notice that he is basically telling me to go down a hallway that leads outside into the ice and snow. I think that’s going to make it very hard for me to get help calling a taxi.

I turn around and talk to the employees at the closest nurses’ station (not *my* nurse who had basically waved me toward the reception/waiting area before continuing to gossip with the people next to him). Luckily for me, these two employees were both kind and helpful. The big problem was that they had been told the taxis had stopped running due to the weather. They said I could probably wait in the reception/waiting area and as I was considering this option, one of them decides to try and call a taxi. No luck. The phone doesn’t even get answered. Next he calls the local police department to ask if they will help (apparently they have given rides in this kind of situation before). They say no and give the number of another taxi company. No answer at that number either.

As I am contemplating a quiet evening in the waiting area, the nurse has an idea. The hospital I was at is situated on the boundary between Town A and Town B, but mostly in A. My car was in Town B so that is the police department they had called first. The nurse decides to call the PD of Town A. They agree to give me a ride to my car! I am excited to finally have a solution. If the roads look like something I can drive on, I’ll head home from work. If not, I’ll go into my office area for a few hours. Problem solved.

He drives me back to work and we talk about the road conditions and my options. The police officer makes a very good point. If I go home then, there won’t be many other people on the road. If I wait until morning, I’ll have to deal with all the crazies. The roads don’t seem icy- they’re just covered in a lot of snow. Slushy in some spots and in piles in others. I decide that driving home at that point is the best choice for me.

We reach work and I find my car. It is surrounded by snow and about 4-5 inches of ice water. There is also about 3 inches of snow on the car that has hardened from the frozen rain. Even better, when I try to open the driver’s side door, I can’t. The freezing rain has frozen the door shut. By this time the police officer has already left. It’s cold and raining and I’m not a happy camper. Luckily, the passenger side of the car is not frozen shut and I am able to open the door. I turn the car on, engage the front and rear defroster, and take out my snow and ice removal equipment.

After I punch some holes in it, the snow on top of the car comes off pretty easily. I have about half of the passenger side cleared off when I slip on the snow at my feet and twist my ankle. Luckily I don’t fall down into the icy water though. My work snow boots look good and are water resistant, but apparently not water proof. I don’t have to worry about icing down the ankle when I get home- the icy water seeps into the boot!

I am a pitiful sight at this point. I am cold and wet, trying to clean off the car in the freezing rain while standing in slushy snow ice. As anyone with a medical background will tell you, this is the perfect thing to do in the middle of the night when you already have a low-grade fever and a cold. I’m starting to get a bit grouchy about the situation. Suddenly a thought comes to mind of how to at least get a little something positive out of the situation. My digital camera is in my bag in the car. I decide to take a picture of the icicles on the car for my WW photo.

I take the picture of the car, put the camera away and return to ice removal. Fairly shortly after that I finish clearing off the snow. The ice on the driver’s side windows has started to melt and I am able to scrape it off. Even better- I am able to open the door! Woohoo! I got in the car and drove home. It was slow going and I only saw 8 or 9 cars the entire drive, but I also had no problems and made it back safely. The downstairs neighbors had picked Jesse up earlier in the evening and he was spending the night with them, so I didn’t have to worry about a 2 a.m. potty walk. I emailed them to say thanks and that I would come get Jesse in the morning, tried to get on my work email to say I would be out on Wednesday and posted the WW picture. Then I went to bed and slept. On Wednesday I picked my dog up from the neighbors and then slept. I was going to write this on Wednesday, but I was just too tired and my cold had worsened.

I hope my two readers don’t mind waiting for the explanation of the picture too much. Actually, I already told ABW the story on the phone. She laughed at me. Yes, I did mean to write “at me” and not “with me”. I was not laughing at that point. If it had been anyone else it would have upset me, but stories like this are exactly why she has been bugging me to start a blog. I think in some sick way she was happy one had happened for me to post about. Of course, I am just as sick and twisted as she is. I am the one who decided to take a picture of the car for WW interrupting the snow and ice removal. I guess it’s true what they say. Birds of a feather flock together. Today I am able to laugh at my predicament and hope you find it at least somewhat amusing too.



RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. I think it’s funny that you took time to take a picture for WW! LOL, hilarious!

  2. Just as funny!! :)

  3. Even though at least two of you do find it funny, I personally hope to not have more events like this to post about in the near future. I hope that doesn’t disappoint you too much :)

  4. I am happy you are taking advantage of every opportunity.

  5. It did distract me from noticing the rain and the ice water seeping into my boot. I guess that’s a good thing :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: